Derek Hernandez - endorser
Vice President Western Region National Border Patrol Council
San Diego, CA
You must oppose SB 833 in its entirety as this is a gateway to illegal citizenship and the benefits that one can receive from US citizenship.
This bill enables and encourages undocumented aliens to live and stay in the state of Oregon and move freely about the United States without the fear of being recognized for what they are - “law breakers”. Let’s look at the law they broke to come to this country;
8 U.S. Code § 1325 - Improper entry by alien
(a) Improper time or place; avoidance of examination or inspection; misrepresentation and concealment of facts
Any alien who
(1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or
(2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or
(3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.
(b) Improper time or place; civil penalties
Any alien who is apprehended while entering (or attempting to enter) the United States at a time or place other than as designated by immigration officers shall be subject to a civil penalty of—
(1) at least $50 and not more than $250 for each such entry (or attempted entry); or
(2) twice the amount specified in paragraph (1) in the case of an alien who has been previously subject to a civil penalty under this subsection.
Civil penalties under this subsection are in addition to, and not in lieu of, any criminal or other civil penalties that may be imposed.
(c) Marriage fraud
Any individual who knowingly enters into a marriage for the purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws shall be imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or fined not more than $250,000, or both.
As one can see the severity could be up to 5 years of imprisonment depending on the circumstances.
Senate Bill 833 gives a clear signal to the citizens of Oregon that this is an attempt at amnesty started right here in your backyard. I cannot express to you “the voter” the abuses that I foresee with this bill passing (including voter fraud) that’s why you must oppose SB 833 in its entirety as this is a gateway to illegal citizenship and the benefits that one can receive from US citizenship.
Derek Hernandez - United States Border Patrol
National Border Patrol Council VP West
Firearms Instructor 2007-2012